Monday, July 20, 2009

My Screaming Cookatoo

My Cookatoo is Screaming.What Should I do?
One of my Cookatoos had the same problem. He wanted attention. When he would scream I would go to the room where his cages was and get him and bring him to the room I was. We never kept him in a cage(only at night sleep). All day his cage was open for him to go in and out as he wished. He was a spoiled bird. So I had to change his behavior to stop the screaming. so this I was did and you should do the same.


Tips to address screaming for attention

  • Extinguish screaming.
  • Reinforce any other behavior besides screaming.
  • Remember the extinction burst is a good sign! The end might be insight. Change your feeling from frustrated to hopeful when your bird really goes for it.
  • If you need to leave the room, but can’t focus on training, offer another positively reinforcing activity prior to leaving the room. This may buy you a short window of time to move freely between rooms without screaming behavior. However you will still need to include training sessions at some point.
  • Get some earplugs to help you cope with the screaming during the extinction burst.
  • Plan to wait in the other room. Prepare in advance a quiet activity you can do when trying to deal with a screaming session.
  • Leave the room immediately when your bird screams for your attention.
  • Manage your activities to help set yourself up fo